Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"Pencil Ban" - What's Next

I have heard some crazy things in my lifetime but banning pencils has to be the craziest thing I have ever heard. This teacher seems misguided in what he's trying to prevent. I'm not trashing his prefession or abilities in any way. I am just saying that banning pencils seems a little bizarre. Pencils can be used as weapons, but so can a lot of other things. A classroom can be deadly if you actually look at it. Pencils are the least of the worries when it comes to danger. Everyone needs a pencil, especially a person who loves to write in their free time. If someone bans pencils, they ban a writer's ability to follow their hearts and passion. The goal of a school is to help students follow their passions to a successful career. Aren't they stopping writers from doing this by banning pencils? I think the teachers just got a little carried away with this. I mean what's next, banning costumes on Halloween because they "might cause us danger" or because the accessories "can be used as weapons." Or should we start eating without forks, knives, and spoons because they can cause serious damage in a restaurant. School without pencils is like a eating soup with a knife. It just seems silly to ban pencils in a school to me.

-Akash Patel

No comments: