Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Why do I have to study [Fill in the Blank]?" Response

This article was fairly interesting because I too think some classes are pointless to take. I think we should all be forced to take all these classes earlier so we get a feel for what we want but when we reach high school we should be able to pick our own classes. This way we can do what we want to prepare for our future careers. Some people don't need english or spanish or history for their future job. Other people really need these classes. I want to go into computer science and game design because I am a video game nerd. I would love to be able to do some programming and design for the games I love to play. I just think I would need an english class for programming because in most games, there is slang and grammatically incorrect phrases. Some people think history is useless but I think we could use history to make a game that reflects some history in it. Growing up, I always thought Genghis Khan was an amazing ruler. His violent ways aren't something I support but his tactics to conquer were amazing. A game that gives you a choice on whether you want to be good or bad gives you more options. That's how a game called Fable works. It gives you a character and a story line but you choose the paths that you take in your journey. History can easily be incorporated into programming. There are many classes that people don't need so I think students should be able to pick the classes that apply to their future career. But if there are people who don't know what they want to be, they should be given some options by the school so they can find their passion.

-Akash Patel

No comments: